CA Cannabis Local Regulations

Setting up a cannabis business in California?

After you make a business plan, find some financing and have a commitment to move forward, the next focus is on finding a location within a city or county that is issuing permits for your cannabis business. If you do not own this location, you will need written permission from the land owner to allow a cannabis business. You can typically apply for a local permit as a sole proprietor, limited liability company (LLC), C or S corporation, whichever best suits your business plan. Once you have secured a location by commercial lease, an option or by ownership, you are ready to apply for a local permit. The terms local permit, business license or conditional use permit (CUP) are often used interchangeability.

Since there is no uniformity in how cities and counties grant local permits (or if they ever do), there is no one answer as to how long the process takes or the exact costs involved. Each local government sets their own specific land use regulations and a zoning map. They also set the requirements and fees for the various applications. Local governments have complete discretion to determine how, when and where to carry out the permit application process. Costs will vary as to whether the proposed business is for cultivation, distribution, retail storefront, retail non-storefront (i.e. delivery), manufacturing or testing laboratory.

After a local permit is obtained, then an application may made to the State for a cannabis business permit from one of the three State agencies granting permits. This is typically for temporary licenses since the State has no application fee and issues these licenses canna business on an expedited manner.

Once you have obtained a temporary license, then you may commence commercial business operations. The remaining step then is to obtain an annual license from the State.


Wicker Law Group:  Call us at 760 735-6100 for a free consultation or send an email requesting more information